Loft conversions in London
Loft conversions in London
A Loft conversion in London is a very important consideration when deciding on whether you want to invest in your home , a loft conversion in London can be an essential building project if you are serious about making the most of your home and your investment.
A loft conversion can be carried out if you have a loft in a house be it a terraced, semi or detached, a flat, a maisonette, infact any roof space as long as you have headroom of two metres and of course if you own the loft space.
We have recently carried out many loft conversions in a variety of London areas such as Putney, Wimbledon, Fulham, Hammersmith, Morden, Kingston upon Thames, New Malden, Marlybone, Battersea, Lambeth, Willesden, Queeens Park, Richmond, Twickenham, St Margarets, Barnes, Colliers Wood, Clapham, Balham. Loft conversions in London.
In some cases if you are converting a loft in a house or a flat, two rooms and a terrace can be built ,this can be done under permitted development and planning applications. depending on where your property is located. Touchstone lofts can advise you on your options.
as property prices in London are currently rising at around 10-15 percent a year , a loft conversion will add around 10 to 15 percent , depending on your property type and the size of the conversion.
The most important factor when a loft conversion is carried out is of course the quality of the loft conversion. A good loft conversion is well planned using a structural engineer, and is well designed.
A good loft conversion design will ensure that from the very outset design has been considered.
Touchstone lofts are the the only loft conversion company that can carry out a loft conversion where there is a ridge height of two meters. This is because we understand design.
Loft conversions London
Loft conversions London are now very much on the up as the Housing market has changed in London.
Without a doubt it is now a sellers market in London . A variety of factors have contributed to this current situation where house prices are rising at around 10-15% per annum. These factors include-
- Lack of property on the market
- Government incentives for first time buyers has created confidence in the London market although the take up of the scheme is not directly the reason for price rises in London
- Russian, Indian, Italian and Greek buyers, seeking a safe place for their cash
- Low interest rates
- Indication from the new Governor of the Bank of England that interest rates will remain low for a few years
- A general return of confidence in the economy
Investing in a loft conversion in London property is now more productive as the price for space has risen and will continue to rise for the forseable future.
History has shown that house price rises in London usually ripple out to the rest of the country and will cause similar rises in property values in the rest of the country over the next 18 to 24 months.
Olympia London National home
Touchstone Lofts will be exhibiting at the Olympia London National Home Improvement 2013 at the Olympia exhibition centre. The event is on 27th to 29th September 2013.
There are a variety of exhibitors at this growing event in West London.
Whether you are looking for a home improvement project like a loft conversion or extension, this show will be an enjoyable day out.
Other products include Kitchens, bathrooms, interior design, garden design and home products.
There are also a variety of expert shows and seminars to inspire your ideas.
London Flat Roofing
If you have a London flat roofing leak you will require the services of Touchstone roofing. Flat roofs always eventually leak, but the good news is that a GRP fibreglass roofing allow up to 30 to 40 years of leak free roofing.
Most homes or businesses have a flat roof . this is normally torch on mineral felt that has a guarantee of around 10 years is fitted by a reputable company.
Touchstone Roofing are a specialist GRP flat roofing company who can help fix and repair your leaking flat roof or provide you with a competitive quotation for a new GRP flat roof. Call us now or email us for a free quotation.
We cover all areas of London within and around the M25 including the home counties
GRP Flatroofing London
Touchstone Roofing are the expert to consider hhen you are considering a loft conversion and a flat roof dormer is contemplated, a suitable flat-roof construction is often a worry for most people as flat-roofs send shivers down most spines. Leaks are a worry.
Most loft conversion builders do not explain what the flat roof construction specification will be.
Touchstone Lofts now only use GRP (glass reinforced polyester) fibre glass flat-roofing on the flat roof of the dormers. This means we can guarantee that the flat roof will not leak for 25 years. This is more than 15 years that a reputable flat roofer can offer.
GRP flatroofing has a number of properties
• High tensile and compressive strength- can be walked on, non slip can be fitted.
• Hard and smooth surface- hence the 25 year gaurantee
• Un-reactive to chemicals-
• Fire resistant-unlike felt
• Insulator to heat, electricity and sound- improve your carbon footprint
• Impervious to water- this is a good one
• Easily moulded and coloured and long lasting, any colour you want.
Touchstone Roofing is a part of the highly regarded specialist- Touchstone Lofts so you can be assured that any works will be carried out to a very high standard and the guarantee offered will be solid and not just words.
Loft conversions Kensington
Loft conversions Kensington
Touchstone lofts are always working in Kensington, we work on loft conversions in North and South Kensington. Loft conversions Kensington are very popular as every loft space is worth over £100,000 if an en-suite is added and it is done to a very high standard.
Many parts of Kensington are designated areas as conservation areas so there are restrictions to what loft conversion alterations can be made. Kensington and Chelsea planning department have received a number of planning applications from Touchstone lofts and we have been successful on all our loft conversion planning applications. This is because we talk to the planning department before we send the planning application in. We can also do a pre-application which can determine what we can do with the loft conversion in Kensington.
A Loft conversion in Kensington will require the following process-
- initial no obligation visit
- plans of what we can deliver provided
- full and detailed quote with full specification
- contract provided
- planning application if required
- report on planning as required
- once planning has been agreed a start date is set
- works commence
- completion date
Touchstone lofts can cover the whole process and do a tern key operation , we can do all the decoration and storage cupboards.
Fire regulations are an important factor in any loft conversion and Touchstone lofts will make sure the regulation is applied sensibly so no ridiculous over bearing regulations are applied.
Touchstone can undertake the full plumbing for your home from a new boiler or heating system to full ensuite supply including tiling.
Loft Conversion Building Regulations – Made Simple
Whenever you read about loft conversions, most articles are always keen to inform you that you must adhere to building regulations. Here is a quick guide as to those regulations you need to comply with.
- All new windows and roof lights will need to be double glazed in order to meet energy-efficiency requirements. Insulation and ventilation of the windows must also meet requirements – double glazing will generally cover this.
- Loft flooring joists will need to be strengthened to take the load of the loft.
- A loft staircase will not be able to pass through another room and must have handrails fitted. A staircase must also have a minimum of 2 metres headroom from stair to ceiling.
- If you own a two storey home, the staircase from the second floor to the loft must be enclosed and ensure 30 minutes’ fire resistance. If your home has sprinklers, you may be able to have an open staircase.
- Doors that open up onto the staircase will need to be upgraded to FD20 fire resistant (20 minutes of resistance) doors. Plasterboard will also need to be fire resistant, which can be achieved by using Fireliner boards or by doubling up existing boards.
- Where there is no room for a traditional staircase, a space-saving option can be used, such as a pull down ladder; however, this can only be done if the loft is a single room.
- Bungalows are not required to have enclosed staircases, although other rules do apply: Each habitable room in the property is required to have a fire-escape window. Dormer windows and rooflights must have a clear opening of 45x45cm or more for escape.
- Smoke alarms must be fitted on every floor of the property to provide early warning of a fire.
A building control officer from your local authority will need to inspect the work to ensure that all building regulations have been adhered to in the loft. In some listed and historic buildings it is almost impossible to meet the set requirements – this does not prevent a loft conversion from being carried out, although work can only be done at the discretion of the local authority.
Visit http://www.touchstonelofts.co.uk/building_regulations.htm for more information
Touchstone Lofts will be at the Grand Designs live show from May 4th to May 12th 2013 which will be held at London XL. Touchstone Lofts are experts and market leaders in the loft conversion industry and will be here for 9 days to help those visitors who are seeking to convert their lofts to living space. Touchstone lofts will offer a free advice service to any visitor who needs help with any issues with their loft conversion.
London and the south east of England is a very important location for loft conversions. Property prices are the highest in the country so living space is very valuable. This part of the country has the highest concentration of loft conversions.
Go to main website www.touchstonelofts.co.uk
Go to our main site www.touchstonelofts.co.uk
If you have decided to consider a loft conversion you have decided you need more room in your home and the room above your ceilings may be the answer.
A loft conversion will provide you with up to around 400 square feet of living space, this is the typical space for a typical semi detached or terrace property. This can easily provide a large master suite and en suite. All you will need to start with is a loft space and a ridge height of over 2.1 metres. In some cases 2.0 metres is sufficient. If you have a trussed roof or a purlin roof and loft conversion will be possible.
Touchstone lofts have carried out many loft conversions where the loft space ridge height is 2.0 metres.
Touchstone lofts have carried out loft conversions to create two bedrooms and a bathroom from a typical semi detached house.
The staircase is always bespoke and can easily be located over your existing staircase.
So I hope that the above information is a brief but accurate short summary of the basic possibilities that what is possible in your loft space.
If you already know the above but just want loft conversion ideas, which is why you are probably reading this article, then lets proceed with that.
Finding a company to do the loft conversion, what do I need to consider-
- Use a well established loft conversion specialist for the best loft conversion ideas
- Use a company that is not an middleman who just sells the job on, but who has workers that do the conversion
- Use a company that has good affiliations like Masterbond/Buildrite
- Use a company that has a government and “Which?” recognised accreditation like “Trustmark”
- use a company that has a government recognised health and safety accreditation like CHAS for peace of mind for your family’s safety
- View reviews and visit or talk to previous customers
- Use a company that can do everything from plans and final works, hunting around rarely save money and you will be only paying one margin and one company will be responsible.
- use a company that can deal with all the plumbing issues as this will have to be balanced all around your home
- Use a company that you can pay a small deposit and then only pay when work is done
- Use a company that has been recognised by its customers as offering outstanding quality craftsmanship and excellent customer service and has won a national and prestigious award like Touchstone Lofts!!
- Well come one, that pretty difficult to beat.
Loft conversions New Malden
Go to main website-
Loft conversions New Malden
There are a variety of property in New Malden which includes lots of 1930′s semi and terraced properties which are all suitable for loft conversions, The only requirement is for a minimum head height of two metres.
A loft conversion will be built in around six to eight weeks. There are basically three types of loft conversion-
- Rooflight loft conversion- this type of conversion just involves no roof conversion
- Dormer loft conversion- involves a rear dormer
- Hip to gable loft conversion- If you have a hipped roof semi or end terrace.
You can also have an en-suite. If you have tanks in your loft these can be re located or your boiler can be replaced, or you can have an un-vented cylinder fitted.
A loft conversion will add around twenty five percent to the square footage to your home. If you consider the size of your loft conversion will be the perimeter of your home or the foot print of your existing home.
A loft conversion can be added to home if it has a current un-used roof space. This applies if you have a two, three or four storey home. This also applies if you live in a flat or an apartment. The only consideration is if you have a roof space that you own above your ceiling.
Most loft conversions are permitted developments, that is you do not need to get planning permission and you will only need to get Building regulations.
Planning permission is always required if you live in an flat or an apartment.
A loft conversion will add value to your home, most case this can be up to 21 percent of your home valuation. You should speak to a local estate agent to qualify this.