Loft conversions Kensington
Loft conversions Kensington
Touchstone lofts are always working in Kensington, we work on loft conversions in North and South Kensington. Loft conversions Kensington are very popular as every loft space is worth over £100,000 if an en-suite is added and it is done to a very high standard.
Many parts of Kensington are designated areas as conservation areas so there are restrictions to what loft conversion alterations can be made. Kensington and Chelsea planning department have received a number of planning applications from Touchstone lofts and we have been successful on all our loft conversion planning applications. This is because we talk to the planning department before we send the planning application in. We can also do a pre-application which can determine what we can do with the loft conversion in Kensington.
A Loft conversion in Kensington will require the following process-
- initial no obligation visit
- plans of what we can deliver provided
- full and detailed quote with full specification
- contract provided
- planning application if required
- report on planning as required
- once planning has been agreed a start date is set
- works commence
- completion date
Touchstone lofts can cover the whole process and do a tern key operation , we can do all the decoration and storage cupboards.
Fire regulations are an important factor in any loft conversion and Touchstone lofts will make sure the regulation is applied sensibly so no ridiculous over bearing regulations are applied.
Touchstone can undertake the full plumbing for your home from a new boiler or heating system to full ensuite supply including tiling.
Loft Conversion Building Regulations – Made Simple
Whenever you read about loft conversions, most articles are always keen to inform you that you must adhere to building regulations. Here is a quick guide as to those regulations you need to comply with.
- All new windows and roof lights will need to be double glazed in order to meet energy-efficiency requirements. Insulation and ventilation of the windows must also meet requirements – double glazing will generally cover this.
- Loft flooring joists will need to be strengthened to take the load of the loft.
- A loft staircase will not be able to pass through another room and must have handrails fitted. A staircase must also have a minimum of 2 metres headroom from stair to ceiling.
- If you own a two storey home, the staircase from the second floor to the loft must be enclosed and ensure 30 minutes’ fire resistance. If your home has sprinklers, you may be able to have an open staircase.
- Doors that open up onto the staircase will need to be upgraded to FD20 fire resistant (20 minutes of resistance) doors. Plasterboard will also need to be fire resistant, which can be achieved by using Fireliner boards or by doubling up existing boards.
- Where there is no room for a traditional staircase, a space-saving option can be used, such as a pull down ladder; however, this can only be done if the loft is a single room.
- Bungalows are not required to have enclosed staircases, although other rules do apply: Each habitable room in the property is required to have a fire-escape window. Dormer windows and rooflights must have a clear opening of 45x45cm or more for escape.
- Smoke alarms must be fitted on every floor of the property to provide early warning of a fire.
A building control officer from your local authority will need to inspect the work to ensure that all building regulations have been adhered to in the loft. In some listed and historic buildings it is almost impossible to meet the set requirements – this does not prevent a loft conversion from being carried out, although work can only be done at the discretion of the local authority.
Visit http://www.touchstonelofts.co.uk/building_regulations.htm for more information
Touchstone Lofts will be at the Grand Designs live show from May 4th to May 12th 2013 which will be held at London XL. Touchstone Lofts are experts and market leaders in the loft conversion industry and will be here for 9 days to help those visitors who are seeking to convert their lofts to living space. Touchstone lofts will offer a free advice service to any visitor who needs help with any issues with their loft conversion.
London and the south east of England is a very important location for loft conversions. Property prices are the highest in the country so living space is very valuable. This part of the country has the highest concentration of loft conversions.
Go to main website www.touchstonelofts.co.uk
Go to our main site www.touchstonelofts.co.uk
If you have decided to consider a loft conversion you have decided you need more room in your home and the room above your ceilings may be the answer.
A loft conversion will provide you with up to around 400 square feet of living space, this is the typical space for a typical semi detached or terrace property. This can easily provide a large master suite and en suite. All you will need to start with is a loft space and a ridge height of over 2.1 metres. In some cases 2.0 metres is sufficient. If you have a trussed roof or a purlin roof and loft conversion will be possible.
Touchstone lofts have carried out many loft conversions where the loft space ridge height is 2.0 metres.
Touchstone lofts have carried out loft conversions to create two bedrooms and a bathroom from a typical semi detached house.
The staircase is always bespoke and can easily be located over your existing staircase.
So I hope that the above information is a brief but accurate short summary of the basic possibilities that what is possible in your loft space.
If you already know the above but just want loft conversion ideas, which is why you are probably reading this article, then lets proceed with that.
Finding a company to do the loft conversion, what do I need to consider-
- Use a well established loft conversion specialist for the best loft conversion ideas
- Use a company that is not an middleman who just sells the job on, but who has workers that do the conversion
- Use a company that has good affiliations like Masterbond/Buildrite
- Use a company that has a government and “Which?” recognised accreditation like “Trustmark”
- use a company that has a government recognised health and safety accreditation like CHAS for peace of mind for your family’s safety
- View reviews and visit or talk to previous customers
- Use a company that can do everything from plans and final works, hunting around rarely save money and you will be only paying one margin and one company will be responsible.
- use a company that can deal with all the plumbing issues as this will have to be balanced all around your home
- Use a company that you can pay a small deposit and then only pay when work is done
- Use a company that has been recognised by its customers as offering outstanding quality craftsmanship and excellent customer service and has won a national and prestigious award like Touchstone Lofts!!
- Well come one, that pretty difficult to beat.
Loft conversions New Malden
Go to main website-
Loft conversions New Malden
There are a variety of property in New Malden which includes lots of 1930′s semi and terraced properties which are all suitable for loft conversions, The only requirement is for a minimum head height of two metres.
A loft conversion will be built in around six to eight weeks. There are basically three types of loft conversion-
- Rooflight loft conversion- this type of conversion just involves no roof conversion
- Dormer loft conversion- involves a rear dormer
- Hip to gable loft conversion- If you have a hipped roof semi or end terrace.
You can also have an en-suite. If you have tanks in your loft these can be re located or your boiler can be replaced, or you can have an un-vented cylinder fitted.
A loft conversion will add around twenty five percent to the square footage to your home. If you consider the size of your loft conversion will be the perimeter of your home or the foot print of your existing home.
A loft conversion can be added to home if it has a current un-used roof space. This applies if you have a two, three or four storey home. This also applies if you live in a flat or an apartment. The only consideration is if you have a roof space that you own above your ceiling.
Most loft conversions are permitted developments, that is you do not need to get planning permission and you will only need to get Building regulations.
Planning permission is always required if you live in an flat or an apartment.
A loft conversion will add value to your home, most case this can be up to 21 percent of your home valuation. You should speak to a local estate agent to qualify this.
Loft conversions in borough of Kingston upon Thames
For details on Loft conversions in Kingston upon Thames click below.
0207 870 1117 call us now or email email@example.com
go to main page-www.touchstonelofts.co.uk
Loft conversions Kingston upon Thames, Kingston is an historic settlement and was the first Royal borough. Kingston was on the boundary of the ancient kingdoms of Wessex and Mercia. Nowadays Kingston is a affluent London residential area with great shopping and excellent restaurants and bars. There is a variety of property with lots of terrace and semi detached properties which are ripe for loft conversions. The variety of property in Kingston is widespread, from small to very large detached. Loft conversions Kingston upon Thames is very popular in all types of property. In larger homes you can create three bedrooms with two en-suites.
A loft conversion can be done to most homes and most people are surprised at how easy this is. Normally there is no loss of living space as the stairs are located over the existing stairs. The biggest room in the home can be created in the loft space.
The loft space is usually un-used space that is usually filled with stuff you do don’t use daily or will not throw out.
Touchstone Lofts have done many Loft conversions Kingston upon Thames.
If you are considering a loft conversion in Kingston, Touchstone lofts are the loft conversion company you need to know.
Part build loft conversions from £15,000, full build loft conversions from £19,000- Touchstone loft conversions offer excellent value and great quality build and great customer service.#
Loft conversions Kingston upon Thames cost from £15,000 for a part build so please call today for a free no obligation feasibility study.
Loft conversions- Master builder of the Year awards 2012-Touchstone lofts
Touchstone lofts were nominated again for a record number of times for this award again by our delighted customers.
Nominations came from all around the country from Central, South and North London, Oxfordshire, Reading- Berkshire, Guildford- Surrey. We would like to thank all our customers for taking the time to nominate us during their busy lifestyles.
The Federation of Master Builder awards are very prestigious awards that are open to all builders in the UK, you don’t even have to be a member of the FMB.
Thank you to all our customers in the last 2 years and a special thank you to those who took the time to nominate us for this most prestigious award.
Loft conversions- Master Builder of the year awards 2012- Touchstone lofts.
Loft Conversion Carpet Fitting
After having spent thousands of pounds on your loft conversion, the extra expense of hiring a carpet fitter to lay your carpet is something you could do without. Fortunately, with the right tools and a bit of know-how, it is perfectly possible to lay a carpet yourself.
There are several tools that you will need to lay a carpet, these are as follows:
- Carpet fitting knife
- Kicker for stretching the carpet
- Bolster for tucking the carpet
- Staple gun
These tools are widely available from hardware stores and are inexpensive to purchase.
Before you go ahead and lay the carpet you are going to need to make sure the floor is clean and free of debris. Sweep the surface thoroughly; maybe even use a vacuum cleaner. Next, you will need to remove any doors if possible; this is not essential but it really makes life easier when fitting the carpet. Carpet grippers will need to be laid around the edge of the room with the angled edge towards the wall. When fitting the grippers you should leave a space of one and a half times the carpets thickness.
The underlay is simple to fit and should overlap the carpet grippers. Use your staple gun to staple the underlay to the floor along the inside edge of the carpet gripper. From here you will need to trim the underlay along the inside of the grippers, close to the line of staples. To stop the underlay from moving during the fitting of the carpet, it is recommended that you use underlay tape or duct tape along the seams.
Laying the carpet
When laying the carpet you will need to cut it so that it overlaps all edges by approximately four inches. When measuring the room at its longest points, be sure to add four inches to your measurements.
You will need to cut the carpet from the back, so you should mark the measurements on the back of the carpet. Join your measurements by using a straight edge and then cut along the line using a carpet knife.
Fitting the carpet
Once the carpet is cut and in the room ready to fit, you will need to use your kicker tool to stretch the carpet out. Place the kicker about three or four inches from the wall and then forcefully kick it using your knee until the carpet gripper tacks hold it firmly in place. You will need to repeat this process around the room until the carpet is fully stretched. Next, you will need to use your bolster to push the carpet behind the gripper; once again, moving around the room until the carpet is fitted to the grippers. Trim away the excess carpet close to the wall using your knife, and at the doorway cut it so that it fits underneath the closed door and use a threshold bar to secure it in place.
Following these steps will result in a perfectly fitted carpet for your new loft conversion.
Touchstone Loft Conversions are coming to London this weekend
As we have been saying it all year – Loft Conversions! Everyone is now seeing that we are not talking riddles and seen as the leader in loft conversion projects. We’re at the national home improvement show, Olympia London this weekend 28-30 September. Loft Conversions in London are extremely popular with home buyers across the capital making it their no 1 way to improve their home. We have seen confidence build year on year and a extra room in your house brings not only vital space but for many additional income as rental prices continue to rise, in the best city in the world! Invest in your roof and come see us at Stand No C1 – Touchstone Lofts
Loft conversions in London
Go to main website-www.touchstonelofts.co.uk
Loft conversions are continuing in London during the Olympics 2012.
Touchstone lofts are continuing their Loft conversions in London, the capital city the whole world has its eyes on.
The authorities warned of chaos on the roads and transport. We were expecting long delays on the road and delivery of materials to be delayed.
Like the Olympics in Greece the net effect has not been congestion but more a real drop in people in London.
Taxi drivers, retailers and main attractions are all reporting a considerable drop in numbers and they are not happy.